A blogger named Alicia Stella (from Orlando Park Stop), who Kory was actually was close friends with in high school, wrote a piece for the Unofficial Universal Orlando Podcast this week that has gone viral. The article is PACKED with details about what Universal is doing to the old Dragon Challenge coaster site at Universal Orlando’s Islands of Adventure.
Apple: http://apple.co/2vN2PcK Spotify: http://spoti.fi/2mM1srl iHeart: http://bit.ly/2xmiFLm TuneIn: http://bit.ly/2yOfiRd Google Play: https://bit.ly/2HvNc38
“Like” No Midnight Podcast on Facebook, and join us Wednesday nights at 8pm pacific…and join the conversation!
THE RUN SHEET
Kory: Welcome to Happy Hour Live, our completely live and interactive Wednesday night show. If you want to join the conversation you can join us in the Facebook Live on Wednesday nights at 8pm pacific. I’m Kory (cast introductions (Adam, Albie, Jack). Banter to end of bed.
Kory (Intro Topic One): Wanna talk about a small world? A blogger named Alicia Stella (from Orlando Park Stop), who I actually was close friends with in high school, wrote a piece for the Unofficial Universal Orlando Podcast this week that has gone viral. The article is PACKED with details about what Universal is doing to the old Dragon Challenge coaster site at Universal Orlando’s Islands of Adventure. The post says, in part, “While we still do not know how the coaster trains will be themed, we do know that the ride manufacturer will be Intamin. They were the company behind Escape from Gringotts, (as well as countless other coasters around the world.) Some of the track will be flat while others will appear as triangle sections, similar to Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens Tampa. …the new Potter Coaster will feature several launched sections rather than traditional lift hills.”
She continues, “The old queue building from Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge is remaining, as we had speculated prior. The interior has been almost completely gutted to make way for an entirely new immersive queue that will be fitting for the Wizarding World. Both of the old stations for Fire(Chinese Fireball) and Ice (Hungarian Horntail) are being utilized as well. They will be connected together and the old Fire station will become the new ride’s load platform, now facing the opposite direction. The old Ice station will become the unload platform for the new ride. The track will be joined together where both dragons used to start the ride, to make one complete circuit.
The load and unload stations will utilize a moving platform, similar to Forbidden Journey or Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. Guests will load onto the train as it slowly proceeds through the station. As with other attractions that use a continuously moving load platform the conveyor belt will be able to be stopped momentarily for accessibility reasons, but all passengers will likely be required to transfer out of their wheelchair to ride. The ride begins with our train exiting the building through the opening where the Fire dragon used to end its run.”
The article continues with a ton of spoilers that we will leave out, but the detail is really interesting, she even has a rendering of the rumored track layout.
We did offer to have Alicia on the show herself to discuss the article, but east coast to west coast scheduling conflicts made that impossible this time. We hope to have Alicia on the podcast in the near future. The article is fascinating, and you can read it in full on the Run Sheet at NoMidnightPodcast.com.
Topic 1: 10-15 minutes.
- What are we hoping for in this new attraction?
- Are we disappointed that it’s another Hogwarts based attraction, and not the rumored Fantastic Beasts attraction?
- There is a rumor of some work happening on the lower lot at Universal Studios Hollywood, perhaps this attraction will have a west coast twin?
- JACK: Facebook comments?
- Plug OPS, and link on site.
Topic 2: 10 mins
- Kory: This week, Disney announced the openings for Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. According to Disney Parks Blog, “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open in summer 2019 at Disneyland Resort and in late fall 2019 at Walt Disney World Resort, when guests will land in the middle of the action as they live their own Star Wars stories.”
- Any surprises in the opening dates?
- Expectations (crowds, AP changes, crowd flow changes, etc.)
- JACK: Facebook comments?
HOUSEKEEPING: 5 mins or less
- Kory: Over the next few weeks we will be announcing some changes, last week, we opened our Facebook GROUP to anyone that wants to be more involved with the podcast. You no longer have to be a donor! Search for No Midnight Podcast on Facebook, click like, then on the left click community, and send us a request! Once we approve you, turn on notifications so you’ll see us in your timeline, and that’s it. You are plugged in! We would love to have you join our community of theme park dorks. As for those of you who ARE donors, we are going to start giving you a short bonus episode once or twice a week after our summer break. Stuff you can ONLY HEAR if you donate $1 a month or more to help us keep this thing going!
- Jack: Angie and Josh, our friends at Modern Mouse Boutique have launched a new website with bow ties, pocket squares, mouse ears, hats and other parks themed accessories, they’ll even to custom work. You can get 10% with the promo code NOMIDNIGHT at ModernMouseBoutique.com.
- Adam: This Friday on the No Midnight Podcast channel, Kory takes a look back at episode one of our popular serial Walt – A No Midnight Serial.
- Kory: …and NEXT week, we debut a brand new show on Fridays called “Things Disney Wishes You Would Forget,” the show will be a fully produced series hosted by me and Adam. Look for that starting Friday, June 1st on the No Midnight Podcast Channel
- Jack: The No Midnight Podcast is made possible by donations from Skyler, Josh, Daniel, Samuel, Leanne, Jody, Barbara, Samuel, Candice, Bradley and Christopher. Thanks so much for being a part of the No Midnight Podcast family!
- Kory: For info on how to support the show for as little as a dollar a month, head to NoMidnightPodcast.com and click support, or click merch to check out our brand new merch store, our new logo T is sitting here on the table in purple and blue, if you are on the Facebook Live.
- Albie: You can reach us on social media at TweetNoMidnight on Twitter, No Midnight Podcast on Facebook and Instagram.
- Kory: orrrrrr….you can leave us a 5 star review on Apple Podcasts!!! *applaud*:
Leave us a 5 star review on Apple Podcasts and we will read it on the show! Friday, a new episode of The Archive featuring Walt – A No Midnight Serial, Monday Trending….*wrap show*