no midnight

Comcast Now Sole Owner Of Universal Studios Japan

Believe it or not, Universal didn’t own a controlling stake in it’s Japanese property…until now.

Comcast, who owns Universal Parks & Resorts, owned a 51% stake in Universal Studios Japan, one of it’s three most popular properties. Today, the media giant went through with a plan to purchase the remaining 49% of USJ Co, the body that controls Universal Studios Japan.

According to Theme Park Insider, “The purchase gives Universal full ownership of its top three, most-attended theme park resorts around the world: Universal Studios Japan, the Universal Orlando Resort, and Universal Studios Hollywood. Its fourth branded park, Universal Studios Singapore, remains the property of Resorts World Sentosa and is operated under license from Universal.

Comcast obtained majority control of USJ Co. in 2015. Comcast reports that today’s purchase price was US$2.3 billion, placing the valuable of Universal Studios Japan at $7.4 billion, including the assumption of outstanding USJ Co. debt. The deal is expected to close in April.”

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: